Which lens for pics of my children : Nikon 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g DX or something else?

Started Dec 8, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
newbie122012
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Which lens for pics of my children : Nikon 50mm f1.8g or 35mm f1.8g DX or something else?
Dec 8, 2012

Dear All,

I have just purchased a Nikon D5100 with the Nikon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6g AF-S VR DX kit lens.

The main reason I bought the camera is so that I can take beautiful pictures of my children. I can also see myself occasionally doing street/landscape/nature shots.

My question now is which lens to buy next.

My criteria are:

• Fast lens (large aperture) so that I can take pictures indoors (i.e. low light conditions).
  • Fast lens so that I can capture those busy bodies without any subject blur.
  • Fast lens so that I can isolate the subject from the background with creamy good quality bokeh. I have a creative nature and I find this effect so appealing. Crisp, sharp image of the subject with no background distractions.
  • Sharp high quality images.
  • Good value for money.

My consideration at the moment, is between the Nikon 35mm f1.8g DX and the Nikon 50mm f1.8g

I have read very good things about both these lenses: they are both fast, they both take good quality sharp images and they are both reasonably priced. The 50mm seems to produce pics with better bokeh mainly I guess due to its focal lenght.

Its the focal lenght that is really my question. I have been leaning towards the 50mm knowing that its equivalent focal lenght on the DX format D5100 will be 75mm. My concern is that from what I have read, this lens will have some distortion. The recommendations for a portrait lens seem to be 85mm to 135mm. It seems these will produce better quality bokeh backgrounds and less distortion.

I see myself taking a variety of picture styles: closeup head shots, head and shoulders, full body, children playing around, indoors and out. Not just a typical head and shoulders portrait. I guess the 18-55 would have been perfect had it been a fast lens.

I am so confused. Please help.

Thank you in advance.

Steven

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D5100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow