Opinion from sharpening experts

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Questions thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,808Gear list
Like?
Smart Sharpen
In reply to FrankParis, Dec 8, 2012

Downloaded your original image, and then resized it to 1024x768 with Bicubic Smoother. The same Smart Sharpen parameters I mentioned above still seem to work fine for this web-sized version. The original, of course, needs significantly more sharpening. I didn't find that pre-sharpening before resizing was helpful. Pre-sharpening the original with Smart Sharpen at 60%, .4 radius and then reducing to 1024x768 produced about the same image as resizing and then sharpening with the same radius at 10%. In both cases I used Lens blur, More Accurate, for what I felt were the best results.

I'm not sure why this seems difficult to you, unless it's just that my standards for sharpening are not as high as yours. Smart Sharpen does a very nice job with web-sized images, IMHO. What more are you looking for?

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow