85 1.4 D vs 85 1.4 G

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
Keith Aitken
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,564
Like?
Re: 85 1.4 D vs 85 1.4 G
In reply to Rich Rosen, Dec 8, 2012

Rich

Both are very fine lenses, and different.

Briefly, the OOF/bokeh is similar : excellent.

A quick summary is that images from the D are sharp, sharp, but mainly in the centre, while the G images tend to be sharper across more of the frame, and slightly sharper overall. I have also found that the G seems to be somehow less forgiving of my poor technique.

The D seems easier to focus on moving objects, athletes, etc, where the G doesn't like action too much.

I have been very happy with the D over the years, but the G improves on the already great D images.

The size/weight of the G could be a consideration ( I know that you did not ask that ). With the hood ( or without ) the G is huge and heavy. I take the D for travel, if I have other lenses to think about and don't wish to be overladen with the 85 G well. Using on older D300 and Fuji S5 bodies.

The G is best saved for studios, portraits, careful street shooting for wonderful images, while the D is an al-round low-light portable lens for everywhere.

Good luck in deciding

Keith

-- hide signature --

. . .

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow