Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
captura
Forum ProPosts: 12,847Gear list
Like?
Re: Micro 4/3 camera decision
In reply to Kapeed, Dec 8, 2012

Kapeed wrote:

Hello,

im just staring to look at some new cameras and have always used a point and shoot, I have been looking into the compact systems for about two weeks now and I'm still having a hard time making a decision. I'm looking at the Panasonic GX1 and the Panasonic GF5 and now the Olympus EPL3, I was also looking at the Sony NEX 5R but Im guessing that this won't be the best forum to do that in. I guess Im hoping that I might be able to get some advice on what might be best for me. I don't take a lot of pictures however my wife and I are expecting so that will change in a few months. Other then that I do take a lot of pictures when I travel.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kapeed

The Nex 5R is a very fine camera. It shares with the 6 the new hybrid phase-detection sensor which has speeds AF plus some other benefits. The 6 costs $200 more, does not have the touch screen but is a more feature-full body and has an EVF. But perhaps the best deal would be to grab one of the few remaining discontinued 5N models at very reduced prices.They have a great reputation.

Now granted the menu system on NEXES takes some getting used to, and there are fewer lenses and they are larger than m43. The 6 (and soon the 5R) has the new compact power-zoom which is similar to Panasonic's. Not bad for a kit lens.

I mostly use my obsoleted NEX-3 just for shooting with manual lenses now as I really love the Focus Peaking feature. I have a few systems and each has it's strengths and weaknesses.

For me, the  EPL-1 is the most fun to use.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow