Any Samples of REAL D600 Images Spoiled By Oil Spots?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
halai
Contributing MemberPosts: 705
Like?
Re: Any Samples of REAL D600 Images Spoiled By Oil Spots?
In reply to Robin Casady, Dec 8, 2012

Robin Casady wrote:

halai wrote:

Carl Maiorino wrote:

This is minor and easily and quickly fixed in post...no worse than what I see with the D3...I agree it's annoying but sky shots have always been a problem with spots...

Carl,

Not to be rude or anything, but what is the purpose of this thread? You asked for pictures that might be ruined by this oil/dust thing with the D600, and there you have it. It is clearly shown in the picture. What you said is very true and that it is very easy to fix in pp, and I agree with you, but what is the point for that? He just bought a brand new camera and now have to fix it in pp? I know we have to wash our new cars, sew our pants, vacum our houses, but don't you think we deserve to have it brand new when we just bought it? Not to mention that this camera is $2100. So to answer your question, I don't the people on this forum or others are over reacting to this oil/dust problem. They have absolutely any rights to whine, complaints or b!^@# to Nikon.

Halai

It depends on the severity of the problem. Dust on DSLR sensors is a fact of life, just like dust on negatives was a fact of life with film. You will get some dust when you change lenses.

In the last few years (D3, D700 onward) it seems that new cameras have had issues with oil spots for the first several K actuations.

If your camera is still putting lots of spots on the sensor after 7K actuations, it is worth contacting Nikon about. From what I've read on this board, most D600 stop with excessive spotting after 3K.

Is this issue significant enough that one should avoid buying a D600? No.

Is it significant enough to warrant thread after thread on this forum? No.

Is it significant enough to warrant indignant outrage? No.

BTW, $2,100 is dirt cheap for a 24 MP DSLR. It is sort of like complaining about a $20,000 Ferrari.

-- hide signature --

Robin,

I just checked on Amazon, B&H Photo, and even Nikon website, and all displayed a "Brand New" D600 at $1997.  No where in the description that states the camera will have oil/dust when purchase new.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  So as a customer, don't you think we would expect to have a brand new, oil/dust free camera?  If the description on the D600 mentioned anything related to the oil/dust issue, then I can understand completely as a customer.

BTW, the price on the D600 is a "Good" price, but I would not consider $2100 or even $2000 as being cheap, or even dirt cheap as you stated.

Halai

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow