Started Dec 8, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
markjmaclean
Regular MemberPosts: 352
Like?
Wide Angle Choices
Dec 8, 2012

I'm looking to get a wide angle lens for the 5d mk3 towards the end of the year for the following types of shooting:

- Indoor shooting in low light in small locations (for plays etc)

- Landscapes

- Some architectural shots - mainly travel

- Minimal portrait and group shots

So far I have a  couple of zooms (70-200L 2.8 ii and the 24-105L plus the cheap 50) and I'm trying to consider whether it makes more sense to have a prime or another zoom.  Firstly, the f2.8 of the 70-200 really opened up a new world of shooting for me. At ISO's as high as 12,800 the images were coming straight out of the camera looking as if they were shot in a brightly lit room.  I realise most of you learned this a long time a go, but for me this was a revelation.  The challenge was that 70 was too long for the venue, so I definitely need something wider.  Where I live, I have the ability to try out the lenses in the shop, but that's about it - hence I wont really get a feel for the lens until I buy it.  This means I need to live vicariously through others (i.e. you lot) and try to make the right decision.

The quality of the shots from the 70-200 already sold the wife on value for money, and so I'm 90% of the way there now with the logic for something similar but wider.

Other thoughts:

- I dont think I'm ready for a TS lens

- 24 1.4L ii - I reckon that the aperture will give me what I need, but is this noticeably wider than the 28-105?

- 24-70 ii - Another zoom.  This is what I am leaning towards.  Are it's images at 24 comparable to the 24 1.4L?  Given I have the 24-105, is the 24-70 going to be very similar most of the time except when the larger apertures are required?

- Should I be going for something wider?  There is the 16-35 2.8Lii or alternatively the 14 2.8Lii.

This is likely to be my last lens purchase for a long time.  I'm an enthusiast photographer and do not feed my family through this (thankfully or they would be living on Rice Crispies).  To anyone who has had a similar dilemma and jumped in one direction or another, would love to hear how it went.

-- hide signature --

Mark

Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow