which Sony Alpha and why?

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
seachicken2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?
Re: which Sony Alpha and why?
In reply to 2fish creative, Dec 8, 2012

2fish creative wrote:

Looking for a compact with many features (but user-friendly). Sort of narrowed down to Sony Alpha DSLR A580, Alpha NEX6 or NEX5R.....any comments, suggestions, or alternatives?

Thanks!

The NEX vs DSLR choice is discussed all over these forums. In the end it boils down to how much you prefer a small camera, over a larger one, and whether you are prepared to accept the trade-offs in order to get the reduction in size. I don't think we can help much with this part of the decision; it works for me, but YMMV.

Alternatives to the A580 would be the lower level Canon and Nikon DSLRs.

Good alternatives to the NEX models would be latest Olympus m4/3 bodies, and the Fuji XE-1.

My advice is to go and see all these cameras in person. Look at the lens selections and samples from the lenses; look over the jpgs from them if you intend to shoot jpg, then choose the one that smiles to you. They are all capable of producing superb images so you probably won't go far wrong whichever one you pick.

If I were making the choice for myself from these cameras, I'd choose the NEX-6, because I prefer to have a hotshoe and EVF in the body, and I like to have access to lenses that won't mount on SLR bodies.

-- hide signature --

"The only thing that gets in the way of a really good photograph, is the camera"
Norman Parkinson

seachicken2000's gear list:seachicken2000's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow