Classic Shell for Windows 8

Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Re: By what measure?
In reply to Russell Evans, Dec 7, 2012

Russell Evans wrote:

Do you have Classic Shell installed on the laptop? In the Control Tab there are setting for controlling the use of the Start/Win key. That's the only thing I can think of for this not to work straight out of the box.

It appears that I was wrong about what you were saying. I though you were saying that the Start/Win key would bring up the app list in the standard Windows 8 OS without using the Classic Shell. I can see from your response that that is not correct. My mistake.

Sure, but you can also make it trivial in Win 8. Should MS have done this on machines without touch screens so you wouldn't have to, sure, but they didn't so do what to resolve the issue or not?

Again, it appears you are talking about a Windows 8 machine with Classic Shell, not without. As I said, I seem to have lost track of which setup you were talking about.

There is a learning curve for Win8 and I'm not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing.

When I bought computers for my mom, sisters, and niece and nephew a few years ago, I could have put Linux on them. They would have been fine with that as they didn't have any idea what Windows, Linux, or even what a "desktop" was. Have you ever had someone ask you on the phone, "What's a desktop, OK, what's an icon"? The reason I went with Windows instead was that I wanted to give them something that businesses use. Even though they probably would only be using the computers for surfing, playing games, email, and the occasional word document, I figured some exposure to working on Windows might pay off for them professionally. One sisters was a janitor, and the other a bus driver at the time. It paid off for them. The one that was the janitor is now a medical billing person, and the bus driver is now a truck driver lugging a laptop around. She did try an office job for while, the Windows computer experience helped her there, but it wasn't her thing. The kids are in collage typing papers and all those on line things they make students do now. Only my lazy 76 year old mom is still on the dole. She does supply technical support for my grandmother though, so that has also paid dividends there.

I completely agree that Windows is a better decision in those cases where familiarity with Windows would help in job or life opportunities, but I think that is not true in the case of my step-son. If it is, then I would probably have to change my mind.

As a general rule I think that keeping up with current technology is probably the best idea and, even when the changes are a pain, it seems to me that, generally, the best policy is to be ready for the next change and to keep abreast so that it is not necessary in 5 or 10 years to get completely retrained. I don't much like the high handedness of Microsoft in restricting Windows 8 ready software to sales from their store since I worry about the effect of this change on costs and free software trials, in the end there is not much I can do. You have to deal with the world as it is, not as you would like it to be.

So while Win8 is more of a pain to learn, I look at the way computing is going where pads and tabs seem like they will be issued as standard office equipment, and I think learning the changes is probably worthwhile at least for employment purposes if you expect to be working for the next few decades. I might have put Linux on those boxes all those years ago, or given them Macs as my wife suggested, and then not have had to worry about the viruses, and the huge updates over modems, bad drivers, and all the crap that Windows was, but it certainly wouldn't have had as much personal impact for my family if I had of done so.

I agree with you and my post wasn't really meant to come across that way, even if it read that way to you. My apologies for that. It's just that having to learn obscure things has been part of my job for a long time, and it sounds like it was part of your job as well, so having to do it just rolls off my shoulders now. I've worked with people, been friends with people, that think this or that bit of technology is the greatest or whatever, and been really passionate about it, but as I worked and learned, I've gone more and more away from this. I'm pretty much a tech agnostic. It seems to me everything has issues and everything has things it does better, or worse, than the next. My job, as I have seen it, is to make the best of the tech no matter how odd the design decisions of the tech may seem. Having had to make a few decisions myself about things, I know you never get it all and you can wait, so you have to make the call.

My general view has been something like "OK. I guess I have to relearn xxxx again but there really is not  much of an option". I used to write code in proprietary assembler, then had to learn Pascal, then 'c' on Unix, then Visual C++ on Windows, then COM, then Visual Basic, then Visual C#, then java, then ... You get the idea. So I am not opposed to generally having to keep up to date. If you don't in the software business you will quicly find yourself in some isolated eddy and lose any future opportunities.

But, in this case where my step-son is involved, I thought it might be a help to install Classic Shell. But, in the end, I did not. I included it as a download on his system but did not install it. Rather I chose to add a readme file explaining about Windows 8 and telling him he could install it if he wished.

I will have to make sure I read future posts more carefully so I don't again misunderstand what someone is saying like I did with your post. My apologies again.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow