Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TCMercury
New MemberPosts: 24Gear list
Like?
Another one of those lens questions
Dec 7, 2012

Hi everyone, this is my first post so here's hoping I don't get consigned to the abyss of page 2 too quickly!

I will turn 18 in June and my parents have offered me money towards a new camera (saving has started now!) to replace my now broken but well loved Sony a200. I've decided to go down the Nikon route after the hell Sony put me through with repairs, and I have a D600 (with 6 months of potential price drops) levelled in my sights to give me longevity and some real growing room as my parents are great believers in 'lifetime' gifts, as it were.

The real question here comes down to the lens choice. I really like the idea of primes, having only used them on my Olympus OM-1 (a beautiful camera by the way), and I think the 50mm 1.8 should offer me a decent introduction while I work out if the focal length will suit me.

I was then thinking of getting the 28-300mm as a do-everything lens. This is the crux of the issue. Does anyone have experience with this setup? I know there have been complaints about distortion, but is this a deal-breaker? Should I instead wait a little longer and see if I can commit to one of the 'holy trinity', or am I right to continue to hold off for a little until I'm absolutely certain that I need higher quality in a certain focal length?

Thanks for reading, your thoughts please.

TCMercury's gear list:TCMercury's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +3 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon D600 Sony Alpha DSLR-A200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow