Started Dec 1, 2012 | Discussions thread
Paljas
Senior MemberPosts: 2,331
Like?
Re: Cultivated?
In reply to Marty4650, Dec 7, 2012

Marty4650 wrote:

I suppose that is one way of saying it. I would use the term "cultured."

The reason for this is that it was the Germans who contributed most to Western Civilization (once they went beyond their own period of barbarism during the dark ages).

A great many of the world's finest artists were Germans or Germanic people. A staggering number of great composers were also Germans. Many of the great philosophers, scientists, and educators were Germans.

When I was young, we were told that if we wanted to pursue science or medicine we should learn to speak German. Because many of the best textbooks on these topics were written in that language.

The German people are well known for their work ethic, their inventiveness, and their many contributions to world culture. Unfortunately, during the last century they were also well known for militarism that led Europe into two world wars in which over 100 million humans died.

That is all in the past, and now Germany is once again leading the world in the arts and sciences.

But for real contribution nobody beats the Scots

-- hide signature --

Observing dreaming seeking

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow