K5 to em-5

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
lester11
Regular MemberPosts: 386Gear list
Like?
Re: K5 to em-5
In reply to Meuh, Dec 7, 2012

The sensible replies are in the earlier responses to your question.

I ran the K5 for a year or so, switched to it from the GH2 when I got caught in the English drizzle yet again, it was the closest thing that was weather sealed.  Built up a nice range of Pentax lenses.  Backed out of the K5 and into the Oly OM-D fairly promptly when it arrived...

The K-5 has terrific ergonomics, probably the best I've experienced in any camera.  The "program line" control in one of the setup menus hugely useful, and the green button a life-saver.  Terrific range of really good weather-sealed lenses at acceptable prices.  Equal image quality, but only if the auto-focus nailed it.  Found Pentax quality control significantly lacking in a number of areas:  dust particles found their way inside my DA* lenses after a couple of months, and the top of the range flash unit failed after 6 months.  The astrotracker just amazing.  And the whole lot was giving me a seriously heavy backpack.

The Oly OM-D and equivalent(*) lenses and gear significantly lighter.  More keepers with AF which nails it more often.  The OM-D buttons *are* small and fiddly.  Articulated LCD, essential for macro or low-level work.  All shooting data easy to see in the viewfinder with my spectacles on, not the case with the K5.  Video much better.  And the OOC JPGs are much nicer, less time in Lightroom.

(*) Few mFT lenses are weather sealed, the good ones are FT, need an adaptor, but are sadly much slower to AF.

Actually, would have continued with the K5, but for Pentax quality control.  Very happy with the OM-D.

-- hide signature --

Lester

lester11's gear list:lester11's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow