lens choice: 20mm f1.7 or 25mm f1.4. ?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
25=portraits, 20=landscape
In reply to papillon_65, Dec 7, 2012

papillon_65 wrote:

I've had both, now have the 25mm. It's a tough call, I prefer the FOV of the 20mm but I love the rendering and bokeh of the 25mm. I stuck with the 25mm because it's such a great lens and the extra speed is very useful at times. I don't think you can go wrong with either to be honest.

-- hide signature --

Any problem on earth can be solved by a well aimed Pomegranate...
Tony
http://the-random-photographer.blogspot.com/

Not a hard and fast rule or anything, but in my opinion the FOV and size of the 20mm are well suited to landscapes or street type stuff, while the 25mm is a little more flattering for closer portraits and the bokeh / blur with the f/1.4 aperture is more pleasing in some situations.  The slightly longer focal length means that distant objects are larger, and thus more 'blurred' at f/1.4.

I own both, and if I'm shooting people I'll always take the 25mm.  I grab the 20mm when I want a compact lens for travel...  Can't really justify both, but I can't seem to part with the 20mm - got it with the GF1 and just can't bring myself to sell it!

When i only had the 20mm I loved the people shots I got with it, but now that I own the 25mm I never use the 20mm that way anymore due to the increased distortion.  I usually carry the 14mm / 25mm combo rather than bringing the 20mm.  Both are good lenses though, can't go wrong with either if you have a 45mm or something for portraits.

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow