Which SD card for Pentax K-30?

Started Nov 24, 2012 | Questions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,425Gear list
Like?
Re: Which SD card for Pentax K-30?
In reply to Sinnettc, Dec 7, 2012

Sinnettc wrote:

So is it odd that my K20Ds seem to take longer to process/display images with Sony 16GB Class 10's than the 8gb Class 4's? Seems odd to me . . . 8^/

Same game I was in. I did not think manufactures would sell class 10 cards with much slower write times (time for camera to write to card) than older (5 years old) class 4 cards. Its kinda crazy really when you think of it. A Sandisk Ultra II Class 4, 4GB, card over 5 years old, faster than its newest class 6 or 10 cards rated at 30MB/s and 200X. Its just not Sandisk. Sandisk probably had to play to or lose money. Customers were not checking write/read times. They believed reviews and Ads. Reviews may use the latest buss interfaces that may not be whats in your camera. As far as U type Extreme cards. But testing with a plain old SDHC spec 2.0 card reader. Well its really funny to test different cards. They are all over the place. Then the K20D confirms the slow or fast times I get on the PC. It can take as long as 60/sec to as low as 18/sec to write out (to the card) 16 RAW DNG pics depending on the card. Price is not a factor.

To clear up some of what I wrote in the past. Manufacturers do have to meet a min write speed for each class, just not a max...For class 6 its 6MB/sec, for class 8 its 8MB/sec for class 10 its 10MB/sec. Thats really low write times given the fact older SD cards had faster write times. The K20D needs a SDHC card with write times faster than 17MB/sec to get close to 100% of its burst/speed performance.

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow