Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,632Gear list
Like?
Re: Tamron has new lens with faster focusing
In reply to hesbehindyou, Dec 7, 2012

hesbehindyou wrote:

Bjorn_L wrote:

Prime85 wrote:

Tamron now has a 70-200mm / f2.8 that is less money and wil get the job done fine.

While I agree with you that pricing out both a Canon solution and a Nikon solution is a good idea, the Tamron 70-200 is not a workable alternative. The Tamron has lovely image quality almost as good as the high end Nikon & Canon stuff, but Ian is right. The Tamron is too slow focusing to be used for sports.

The low cost alternative which works is the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 HSM II which will not match the Tamron for image quality particularly on the long end, but it is reasonably close and it is fast enough to track and focus on sports.

Tamron has a new lens with their version of USM that provides significantly faster focusing:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09/13/Tamron-SP-70-200mm-F2-8-Di-VC-USD-ultrasonic-focus-motor-and-image-stabilization

I doubt that was the Tamron that was referred to since it is 1500.00 while the older (slow) one is half that.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow