Help me decide between lenses 35mm 1.8g or 18-135mm IS STM :/

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Bjorn_L
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Help me decide between lenses 35mm 1.8g or 18-135mm IS STM :/
In reply to tabishz, Dec 7, 2012

tabishz wrote:

1) Nikon D3200 w/ 18-55mm VR and 35mm f/1.8G lenses ($699.99)

2) Canon T4i w/ 18-135mm IS STM lens ($799.99)

Now my dilemma is not which camera is best, I know they both have their advantages, I'd be fine with either of these and I love both of theirs video capabilities. My only concern is, I've some other Canon gear such as a 50mm f/1.8 lens, 55-250mm IS lens and 430EX Flash. I can sell all these if I get the Nikon D3200 with the above two lenses.

The Canon gear you have to sell is popular and so will sell easily.  But unless you replace it with used Nikon gear you will have tp spend more than the 100.00 price difference to get the same stuff back.

I like to shoot in low-light, and can only imagine how convenient it would be to have 35mm on hand to shoot with f/1.8 aperture.

It is a very good lens, but not normally the one which causes people to change camera mounts.

However the Nikon d3200 sensor is quite a bit better in low light then the Canon sensor, see DXOmark.com and look at ISO and dynamic range as those are related to low light photography.

If i go with nikon, all my lenses will be future proof if i buy a high-end nikon dslr, while with canon, most my lenses wont be future proof if i ever buy a 35mm canon dslr.

Yes and no.  The Nikon 35mm works on every Nikon body, but to shoot wide open on a full frame (like the d800) you need to use crop mode.  Or you can deal with darkening in the corners (called vigenetting).  The Nikon 18-55 is a DX only lens, meaning to use it on a d800 you must use crop mode.  If by future proof you meant other newer APS-C bodies, then both the Canon and the Nikon lenses should work with future APS-C bodies of thr same brand.  Meaning the Canon lenses should continue to work with most Canon crop bodies and the Nikon should continue to work with new Nikon crop bodies.

Nikon does make full-frame lenses which work on both full-frame (FX) and crop body (DX) bodies.  For example the Nikon 50mm f1.8g and 85mm f1.8g are FX lenses and so work equally well on the d3200 and the d800.  The Nikon 28mm f1.8g and 35mm f1.4g are also both FX and around the same FL as the one you are talking about.  So if you want to buy FX lenses to use later on a FX body that is possible.  However you can do the same on Canon.

now please help me decide between the two, Nikon D3200 w/ 18-55mm VR + 35mm 1.8G ----and---- Canon T4i w/ 18-135mm IS STM

Ultimately it depends on your goals.  There is not much difference between the two systems except the Nikon's advantage in low light and the Canon's advantage of being able to use your existing Canon stuff.

-- hide signature --

See my plan (in my profile) for what I shoot with. See my gallery for images I find amusing.

Bjorn_L's gear list:Bjorn_L's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Canon PowerShot SX30 IS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow