NEX-6, SELP1650 and PDAF (contains images)

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
thaddak
Regular MemberPosts: 155
Like?
NEX-6, SELP1650 and PDAF (contains images)
Dec 7, 2012

Hi,
I had avoided the NEX system until the NEX-6 because none of the previous models had PDAF and the NEX-6 ticked almost all of my want list (GPS and custom user mode would have been great).
I'm posting some photos for you to decide if PDAF on the NEX-6 is up to scratch. Of course a better photographer could get better results out of the system (and vice versa) but these are some of the test shots I took. Nothing elaborate, these were pretty much "I have my camera with me, so why not take a shot?" scenario.

All images are straight out of camera JPEG.
Start off with simple sideways panning, no change in subject's depth so focusing shouldn't be a challenge... Taking these shots with a cup of coffee in one hand is another matter
Cars coming into Mordialloc town, speed limit is 80 kph so these cars would be travelling at about that speed.

Ok, ok, shutter speed at 1/1600s doesn't convey any sense of speed. Mea culpa, it was sunny and I had the camera at aperture priority...

Didn't have my ND filter (but let's face it, I have yet to see a 40.5mm thread so this SELP1650 will stay naked). Aperture at f/25 but I don't mind the image.

A tram on St. Kilda Road, taken as I was rushing to my car with an almost expired parking meter. Pardon the sign post in the foreground... can I say that was planned?

Simple sideways panning, I think any camera can that fairly easily. Next reply I'll post a sequence of shots of a train coming towards me (but not directly AT me, I don't love testing cameras that much)...

Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow