M.zuiko 1.8/45 with extension rings for macro?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Questions thread
bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?
Yes, but limited range
In reply to Tomx72, Dec 7, 2012

I have the Kenko rings along with the 45mm f/1.8 lens and it does work fairly well, in my opinion, for static subjects.  I can't see using it underwater though.  You end up about a foot away from an object, and framing wise I can get about 4 keyboard keys wide and 3 high.

Contrary to what people say I find the AF works well enough for static subjects but you have to be already within a very narrow band of distance away.  It is far less practical than a dedicated macro lens.  I don't do underwater photography, but I can't imagine using an extension ring and this lens if I was floating!

I would much rather use a dedicated Macro lens - the only reason I have the rings is that I was waiting for the 60mm macro to become available, and I really like taking the 10mm ring in my small cameras bags on trips.  While it is finicky, I can usually find a lens it works well enough with to get the shot - and in that situation I would never bring the macro lens even if I had it (i.e. on a trip with family).  If I had to choose space wise I'd never leave my 75mm f/1.8 at home given the limited amount of actual macro photography I do

Here is an example with the 75mm f/1.8 lens and 10mm tube (at ISO1600!):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47706598@N08/8107412596/in/photostream

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow