Started Nov 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
Richard Franiec
Senior MemberPosts: 2,233Gear list
Like?
Re: Franiec grip received and installed, a definite plus
In reply to SigmaChrome, Dec 7, 2012

SigmaChrome wrote:

Charles2 wrote:

He shipped from Illinois on Monday; I received it Thursday in California.

I'm not a serious tripod shooter. If that ever happens, other grips are available for that purpose.

The benefits:

• 1. You can pick up the camera with one hand and hold it with one hand while thinking about the shot, while removing the SD card, etc.
  • 2. You will find a more stable way to hold the camera for the shutter press. Your middle finger can pull against the ridge for tension while your left hand does its thing.
  • 3. The grip covers the white Sigma logo.
  • 4. It just makes the camera look elegant.

Point 3 is NOT a benefit - at least for me. I like the Sigma logo - but I have a real dilemma: I also really like Richard's grip designs because they are so comfortable. What I would really like is one of his grips with a cut-out that would allow the Sigma logo to be visible. If I could have that, I would order one in a heartbeat.

Actually, I have no idea why Richard thinks customers want the logo covered. I find this puzzling.

-- hide signature --

Vitee,

I understand that it is impossible to please everyone. Just look up the forums or news.

Covering silver Sigma logo was absolutely not meant as disrespect for the brand. The engraved letter leave no doubt about origin of the camera. It is subtle but clearly visible for someone who want to look. I have impression that Sigma purposely eliminated Foveon logo typical for original designs to make the cam more elegant in its simplistic appearance.

Great majority of original DP grip users accept and like the understated look of the cam with grip with added stealthiness for street shooting situations so it was natural to continue the same approach. In fact, I have never received a complain before. Lately I got a request for a few grips with no logo whatsoever. This one came from Japan, the origin of the cam itself. Personally, I'm not a big fan of labels of any kind so this helped my decision regarding final design of DPM grip which I consider in my own mind as very special.

Cheers

Richard

Richard Franiec's gear list:Richard Franiec's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EOS M +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow