Looking for an affordable high-end entry level or mid-range DSLR. Need help!

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tombo677
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Looking for an affordable high-end entry level or mid-range DSLR. Need help!
Dec 7, 2012

Hi everyone,

So I've been thinking about upgrading from my hand-me-down Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and wanted to get some advice. I'm not really a "beginner" but I'm certainly no pro and can't quite make a decision on what brand and model to go with.

Right now I'm looking at the Nikon D5100, Canon Rebel T3i and the Sony A57. All three of these are in my price range (although I found a deal on the Nikon that is pretty enticing) but from the countless reviews I've read, it seems like it's sort of a toss up. One review will say one thing, and another will contradict that statement completely. How can a camera get 5 stars from one site and 3 from another?! haha.

Anyway, here's some info that might help you help me:

I don't really care about HD video and I already have a standard konica minolta zoom lens as well as a minolta prime lens which I love. I originally thought that I should just buy the sony, since my lenses will work with that, but I don't know how I feel about the SLT tech as well as the digital viewfinder. I've also read some reviews that aren't too kind about image quality, especially at higher ISO's.

My highest priorities would be low light photography, portraiture (especially of my 3 year old niece) as well as overall responsiveness and (preferably) a camera that doesn't "feel" like a mid-range slr (or a high-end entry level slr). Overall, I'm just kinda tired of the Maxxum 5D's sluggishness, but I really love how solid it feels in my hands.

From what I gather, the only consistent critique of any of these cameras is that the nikon d5100 is great for low light photos. Other than that, I can't seem to get a handle on which is best at overall performance.

Does anyone have one or more of these cameras? I'd really appreciate any advice that you could give.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

T

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow