Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
gdanmitchell
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,730
Like?
Re: Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))
In reply to nelsonal, Dec 7, 2012

nelsonal wrote:

gdanmitchell wrote:

One could fake up a "Zeiss" lens by putting Zeiss branding on some lens made by someone else, and those who judge lenses by the brand name would swear up and down that the lens was magical.

In the only test of anything like that I've seen, 75% could tell Zeiss from Canon:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1002900

Web resolution images, 9 different lenses. Images are still on the first page, results are currently on the last page. I'd be curious to see how your test goes.

I don't think this means either are "magic" but I think it's pretty clear both brands have different rendering styles that photographers were able to notice. One can take those cues and use them as they please.

LENSES have different combinations of sharpness patterns (center versus corner, etc.), contrast, halation, and so forth - so it is no surprise at all that when presented with unaltered images from various lenses people can see that they are different.

I can see differences among my 17-40, 24-105, and 24mm f/1.4 L lenses at 24mm. I can see differences among my 70-200mm, 135mm f/2, and 100-400mm lenses at 135mm. Some key points:

• None of these excellent lenses are "magical" or have some objective characteristic that might be described as "wow" quotient.
  • Depending upon the subject and shooting situation I might choose any of lens among each of the sets to shoot something at those two focal lengths.
  • I can produce photographs that have what might be characterized as a "wow" effect - people love them, and even purchase them - with any of these lenses.
I'm not sure why you felt the need to point out the obvious fact that lenses do not perform in identical ways and that the differences in the ways they perform can be seen in some cases. That wasn't the underlying assumption of this thread at all, and I never challenged that fact at all.
Dan
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow