Is the V1+lens at $300 the bargain of the year? (gift for family member)

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Digetydog
Senior MemberPosts: 1,172Gear list
Like?
Re: Is the V1+lens at $300 the bargain of the year? (gift for family member)
In reply to atamola, Dec 6, 2012

atamola wrote:

I've got a question for the people using the V1:

Would you buy this camera for a family member who can only use a point-and-shoot?

The 1-system is not for me, particularly at the insane prices at which it came out (D700, X100 user). However, now that the V1+lens has hit $300 I wonder if it would be a good buy for my wife and brother

Neither of them are remotely interested in worrying about setting-up the camera, they just want a p&s -however, I do care about the IQ of their pictures (it just hurts my eyes when they upload shots taken with a mobile phone).

So, I guess the questions are:

Can the V1 be used as a P&S by someone with no clue about how to set the camera? (this is the important one)

Are the jpegs SOOC "very good"/"good"/"acceptable"/"not very different from a good P&S"?

Thanks in advance.

No.  The lack of a built in flash makes the V1 an imperfect replacement for a P&S camera.

For other uses, it is a pretty good camera.

Digetydog's gear list:Digetydog's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow