ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
xlr8or
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Computer Video Card and SSD for Photo Editing Speed
Dec 6, 2012

Reposted from Accessories Talk Forum:

I would like to run Adobe Lightroom 4 (and possibly Photoshop CS6 later) as I'm starting to get into photo editing. My notebook is about 4 years old and runs Win XP. Lightroom 4 however, needs Windows 7 to run. I'm looking at putting together a system that has at least 8MB (and possibly 16MB) of RAM that is either an Intel Core i5 or i7 CPU. I'm either going to order or build my own desktop PC and was wondering if the Intel HD 4000 3D Graphics Card or the Intel Integrated 3D Graphics on CPU that some of the Intel chips are running would be sufficient for photo editing purposes. Does the relative horsepower of the video card make much of a difference in the speed photo editing large RAW files or is it more of a function of the amount of memory, the speed of the CPU, and the speed of the hard drive disk?

As a related question, I also have an interest in using an SSD as the boot disk for my OS, software programs, and possibly for a scratch disk for my photo editing. I know how much space my OS and programs will take. What would be a reasonable size SSD to use as a scratch disk for my photo editing along with its other uses as a boot disk, etc. Any suggestions or additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 60D
Canon 24-105L f4 IS USM
Canon 70-200L F4 IS USM

Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow