Need to tether a77 for photoshoot

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Kirk Tuck
Senior MemberPosts: 1,924Gear list
Like?
Re: Need to tether a77 for photoshoot
In reply to steelhead3, Dec 6, 2012

I think that's a long way to go from, "the camera does not tether."  I've used it for the better part of a year as one of my daily use cameras in a business that is 100% professional photography. The basic need of a working photographer's camera is that it produce files that are good enough to be licensed to customers. Having been a photographer since before the days of digital I think it's silly and stupid for good tools to be written off because they don't have one feature or parameter that we never needed before.

I'm sure next year someone will make the equally unfounded statement that no camera can possibly be used for a professional shoot that doesn't have built in wifi...

The a77 is a fast shooting camera with weather sealing and enormous, sharp and color accurate files. A good photographer can make wonderful images with one.

While we've also shot several broadcast television commercials with the a77's I would not dismiss a camera as "unprofessional" that did not contain video capabilities.  What I would do is read about the camera and determine if its feature set worked for my business before investing in it.

In my opinion (and having lived through early digital with Kodak DSLR's and big Nikons) tethering was introduced to compensate for the miserable and small LCD panels on the backs of the early cameras. It was a way for pioneers in digital to see exactly what they were getting during a studio shoot. The mania for tethered general work is a recent thing, driven (I think) by the behind the scenes videos of pros doing promotional work for and with medium format digital cameras, which themselves had very poorly implemented rear screens for most of their existence. The screens on the backs of Sony cameras are superb and the camera offers in-camera processing. Additionally you can attach a printer directly to the camera and send files to the printer if you need to.

Most event photographers would probably yawn at this thread and go to an easy work around, like having a number of memory cards and shooting ten or twenty images on a card and then handing off the cards to an assistant to process and print while the photographer goes on working with the next card.

When cards cost $1200 for 256 Megs of memory I could see being afraid to switch and swap but in the day and age of 16gb by $12 it seems like the cheapest part of the whole process.

I think it's good to be clear that "professional photography" encompasses a very wide range of subjects and what works for one situation might not be optimal for another but it's just hyperbole to call a camera "non-professional" because it doesn't include a feature that only a certain subset of photographers use. Since Sony is the only company with sweep panorama or MFNR does that make all the Nikon and Canon cameras amateur toys?  All very silly arguments.

-- hide signature --

Austin based advertising and portrait photographer, and author of the book series, Minimalist Lighting, and the books: Commercial Photographers Handbook, Photographic Lighting Equipment, and, LED Lighting for Digital Photographers. www.kirktuck.com

Kirk Tuck's gear list:Kirk Tuck's gear list
Nikon D2Xs Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Nikon D7100 Samsung Galaxy NX +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow