Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kmb997
New MemberPosts: 3
Like?
I Need Some Help For X-mas!
Dec 6, 2012

Hello to everyone, this is my first post and I would like to apologize in advance. I usually do a ton of research before I buy anything, but my wife just started mentioning she wanted a new camera and Christmas is right around the corner. I've been reading here as much as I can but there are way too many cameras to look at. I would be grateful if anyone could help me narrow it down a little.

Right now we are using a Canon SD880IS and we are happy with the quality of the pictures so that shows how much we are into photography. We have 2 toddlers running around and that is the primary reason for the new camera, to try and catch them as best as we can. I've asked for recommendations from friends and most have mentioned Canon t3i or t4i, 20D, 7D and one person said Nikon coolpix.

I was leaning toward the t3i or t4i until I went to the store yesterday and saw the size of those. My wife will not be happy carrying that around nor will she take the time to learn how to use it properly. I think she would be happier with something around the size of the Canon S50, Nikon J1, Sony NEX 5. Those are the only ones I saw that looked to be a good size between the P&S and DSLR's. I know there are more cameras out there along the lines of the ones I mentioned, so could someone point me in the right direction. I know a DSLR is going to capture the kids the best but we aren't going to take the time to learn how to use it properly so I think they are out of the question.

I'm looking for something better than a P&S but smaller than a DSLR, something where I can shoot a couple shots per second and hopefully one or two will be nice, good with kids indoors and out, something that's fast (turning on, focusing, shooting). I'm open to changing lens' but only along the lines of a smaller camera. I don't want to spend more than a $1k and would like to spend alot less than that if I can. Please ask me questions if I didn't put enough info out there for you to help me narrow it down.

Thanks for the help in advance and I hope I don't offend anyone here since it seems like most are really knowledgeable about photography and I'm really not looking to learn all the features of DSLR's right now.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow