Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
GPapa
Senior MemberPosts: 1,656
Like?
Take some practice shots before the game
In reply to luvmybec, Dec 6, 2012

I think the 50mm photos you shared are more than OK. I really like the third one a lot. I spent my first year of seriously trying to shoot sports using a 20D and a 50mm f/1.4 lens. I got plenty of good photos and lots of not so good ones.

I spent a lot of time experimenting with suggestions offered by folks on this forum. Sometimes the advice worked and other times, because we were using different equipment, the suggestions didn't really apply. Other times the lighting situation in my local gym just made it impossible to do what was suggested. I learned a lot and it was rewarding to see my keeper rate go up over time.

I'm thinking right now you don't need a new lens. The 50mm is working and you will get more bang for your buck working on technique. Later you may want to look at another lens.

If your daughter's practices are open to the public ask the coach if you can go in and practice with your camera. I have done that myself when trying new techniques.

Definately go with full manual or at least give it a try.

Shutter Speed: 1/500 or faster (like maybe 1/1000?)

Aperture: f/2.2 - f/ 2.8

ISO: Experiment. Set it whereever you have to to get into the shutter speed/aperture range above. Then experiment some more to see what shutter speeds and apertures you can get when you bump the ISO up into the higher ranges. Compare the output. What happens if you set the ISO at 12800 and then balance the exposure by raising the shutter speed? What happens if you set ISO at 12800 and close down the aperture? Do you get more well focused images with higher shutter speeds? Do you get more well focused images with a smaller aperture? At what ISO level does the noise really begin to interfere with the quality output?

I usually shoot at ISO 6400 as I find the trade off between high ISO noise and faster shutter speed acceptable for our home gym. One thing I will not do is under expose. I always use the expose the the right technique. It works and it limits the really awful low frequency noise.

Below is a link to the concept of Exposing to the right.

Digital Exposure: Exposing to the Right Explained

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/exposure/exposure.htm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow