Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Dan W
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
Re: Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?
In reply to Larry251, Dec 6, 2012

When B.B. King was asked if you have to have lived through hard times to play the blues well, he said "no...but it helps."

It's not necessary to have had a DSLR or similar type of camera to appreciate what an NEX can do, but the experience of owning and operating a camera with manual controls makes it easy to quickly understand how to use and achieve good results with an NEX. And the DSLR owner can appreciate the size and weight of an NEX.

OTOH, a P&S owner upgrading to a NEX will surely be delighted with the image quality, low light ability and relatively fast focusing of the NEX, especially when he or she goes beyond the fully auto modes (does anyone here use only the auto modes?).

As far as ease of use goes, I find that my DSLR is generally much easier to use than my NEX. The big viewfinder, speed and buttons make my DSLR a breeze to use. People that don't own DSLRs think they must be hard to use, but that's not true, once you set them up the way you want them. But then, I have a C3 and I imagine that a NEX 6 or 7 would be much closer to a DSLR experience.

"Toy-like" or not, I find the C3 a lot of fun to use, especially with a legacy lens. Sure, adjustments often take a little time, but I think that's part of the fun and the results can be very good. I like to think of my C3 as "the little engine that could."

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon PowerShot D10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Nikon D7000 NEX5R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow