5dMKIII: worst AWB eva???

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
Scott Larson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,213Gear list
Like?
Re: Clarify 3
In reply to hjulenissen, Dec 6, 2012

hjulenissen wrote:

If you shoot in raw you are basically free to choose a raw developer that has an AWB algorithm that is closer to your taste - or to make some presets/batch processing that gets you as close as possible with the least possible manual labour.

RAW is not necessary. I do this with JPEG by hitting the auto button or using one of the adjustments I've saved. Canon's AWB will usually get close but about half the time I need to make some additional adjustments. Nikon has shown to be more aggressive with AWB by getting images that need less tweaking at the expense of being less "true" to the actual colors captured. We have both Canon and Nikon photographers at our games and we're all amazed at how much better our photos look than what we see with our own eyes under the ugly green lights.

There are cases where it is truly hopeless. If I get unlucky and three lights are in their green phase then I'm going to get a green picture that no adjustment will fix.

Scott Larson's gear list:Scott Larson's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
LOLNew
NoNew
HahaNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow