Opinion from sharpening experts

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Questions thread
phototransformations
Senior MemberPosts: 2,782Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinion from sharpening experts
In reply to FrankParis, Dec 6, 2012

FrankParis wrote:

I've been using Photoshop Elements to sharpen E-M5 photos reduced from unsharpened full size images to 1024x768, using three techniques:

1. "Image>Resize>Image Size" with "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)"

2. "Enhance>Adjust Sharpness: from (1) with Amount=25%, Radius=0.5, Remove=Gaussian Blur, More Refined = unchecked.

3. "Enhance>Auto Sharpen" from (1).

These were all taken with the LP 25mm at f/5.6.

Technique 3

Technique 1

Technique 2

To my eyes (3) looks way oversharpened, (1) looks okay, and I'm not sure about (2). What do you think?

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

I used to use a multi-pass sharpening approach, using Unsharp Mask to achieve partial sharpening, sometimes using masks with Focus Magic for selective sharpening, and then another pass for printing or web use. But since the advent of PS Smart Sharpen, that tool seems to do the job. I'll still sometimes do a global light sharpening to overcome the AA filter or a soft lens, but most of the time light output sharpening with Smart Sharpen is sufficient, at least for my G1 and G3 files.

phototransformations's gear list:phototransformations's gear list
Samsung TL500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +23 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow