Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
luvmybec
Junior MemberPosts: 26Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!
In reply to Nevada-is-HOME, Dec 6, 2012

GPapa, thanks for the feedback.  I've been lurking a while and your basketball shots are very good!  The last shots I was shooting, I used the Shutter Priority Mode, letting the camera pick the rest.  Going totally manual is a bit scary, but I'll give it a try next week and adjust the exposure as well, because most of my pics were on the dark side.

PJ Man, thanks for the positive comments.  I'll try sitting next week as well for a different perspective.  Maybe my focusing can improve by sitting as well too, I am still struggling with getting a lot of sharp shots.   I was able to get some great outdoor flag football shots using my Minolta beercan 70-210mm lens, but unfortunately I don't think it's going to cut it for the indoor basketball, at least not in our home gym. Your soccer shots were great too!

Buchanon, you are spot on regarding the cropping of the first pic.  That was my best action shot that night, but unfortunately it wasn't very sharp. I am having difficulty keeping all the shots sharp. I am using the continuous auto focus.  On a layup run for example, I may get the first and last shots sharp but the middle shots are out of focus.   If anybody has any tips for that, I would appreciate those too.  I am trying to prefocus, and pressing the shutter button throughout the shots to try to get focused.

Nevada-is-HOME, I appreciate the comments from a fellow Sony shooter.  I am only shooting indoor sports until my daughter graduates from high school, which is another reason I didn't want to buy a $1000 lens.  I have been using iPhoto to crop and adjust exposures, etc.  I downloaded a trial verison of Elements 11, but it didn't seem to be the easiest to pick up and use immediately, and I haven't had much time to play with it.  I'll have to check out the Corel Paint Shop.  Your basketball shot is awesome, by the way!

Thanks to everyone for being so welcoming on my first post.  I've been lurking for a while, and this forum can be a scary place!  You've all been kind and helpful and it is greatly appreciated.

luvmybec's gear list:luvmybec's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow