Am I doing something wrong?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Questions thread
roby17269
Contributing MemberPosts: 882Gear list
Like?
Re: Am I doing something wrong?
In reply to adrianandmel, Dec 6, 2012

Hey there,

as others have said, use your lens at 200mm, f/6.3 and keep your distance from the subject as short as your framing intentions allow and keep your ubject away from the background as far as the circumstance allow.

Of course the 50mm f/1.2L is capable of thinner DOF, especially with the distances and framing typical of portraiture. Just beware that at very large apertures (i.e. below f/2) the DOF is so thin that getting both eyes in focus becomes a challenge in itself. At f/1.2 getting 1 eye in focus is not trivial unless you're very far away. Remember that having a lens that can open to big apertures does not mean that you need to use it fully open all the time... I do mostly portfolio work now and if I am taking a full-body shot I rarely go below f/4. Most times I stay between f/6.3 and f/9.

Having said that... I've gone thru the 3 current Canon 50's (f/1.8 mkII, f/1.4 and f/1.2L) and now I have the f/1.2L only. I do believe that the f/1.2L is better than the others, but beware that it is larger, heavier, more expensive and trickier to use. It is also not lightning-quick at focussing. If you know how to use it then it is capable of better results in my eyes. It is also more-impressive-looking I mean bragging rights

-- hide signature --
 roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Nik Silver Efex Pro Nik Color Efex Pro Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon EOS-1D X +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow