Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
chris24net
Regular MemberPosts: 264
Like?
India with the X-E1 and mostly 18-55
Dec 6, 2012

I just got back from 10 days in India shooting with the X-E1 and mostly the 18-55.  I've had the X-E1 for about a month and a half, getting it with the 35mm as part of the Special Hong Kong pack.  But an hour before I was supposed to leave for India I checked one last time at my local camera store and they finally had an X-E1 with 18-55 kit.  So I bought that to take with me.  Which is a good thing cuz I had dislocated my shoulder before the trip and my left arm was in a sling, so changing lenses was none too fast.  In fact, if they hadn't had the 18-55 kit, I would've taken my OM-D instead of the X-E1 so I would've had the 12-35 to shoot with.  Anyway, link to images below.

http://www.chris-sorensen.com/india

Some thoughts on using the camera and lens.  I love the camera.  The ergonomics are great and image quality is fantastic.  The focus is not near as good as the OM-D, even with the 18-55, but good enough.  Probably about the same as my 5DmkII.  Which basically is how I see the X-E1; 5DmkII image quality in a retro package the size of the OM-D.  Noise is very well controlled.  The image of the homeless person in the pink doorways for example is shot at ISO 5000.  And even though the camera and lenses are not weatherproof, I had no issues in the desert in Pushkar for the Camel Fair.  And there was dust everywhere.

I like the lens a lot. Sharp wide open, and a very useful range for travel.  I'm a shooter not a pixel peeper so I'm not checking corners, but I do look at images at 100% and like sharp images and saw no issues.  I did wish sometimes that it went to 24mm equivalent like my Panny 12-35 or Canon 24-70.  But the extra reach on the end was nice.  The OIS works great.  I was able to handhold down to 1/6 pretty easily and I'm no magician at handholding.  You can see an example in the pic of the two kids running in front of the Taj Majal.  Oh, and turn OIS to Shooting Only instead of Continuous unless you want to kill battery life.

The third image and second to last image were taken with the 60mm, and the 4th to last image was taken with the 35mm.  All others taken with the 18-55. And these are not OOC images.  These are RAWs processed in Lightroom. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

www.chris-sorensen.com

Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-E1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow