Storage Solutions

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,517Gear list
Like?
Re: Redundancy
In reply to photosbyrobert, Dec 6, 2012

photosbyrobert wrote:

So what if I setup a RAID 1 using two G-Drives and then have a third drive that then backs it all up. Is that possible and would this be recommended? Since I haven't updated my OS, Time Machine will only backup whatever is on my internal drive.

I don't see the point of the RAID 1 in this case. This just gives you two real-time copies and one delayed copy, but no way of retrieving mistakenly deleted files weeks later.

I suggest you get two 2TB or 3TB drives, make one your working photo storage and have your backup utility copy this daily to the other and temporarily (3-6 months) save changed and deleted files to an archive folder on the internal drive (which should have lots of free space now that you've moved your photos off of it). Note that Decimus Software's Synk Pro will copy in real time rather than on a schedule. This is what I use.

Unless you expect to have more than 3TB of photos within the next year, a multi-drive RAID box seems overkill. Keep it simple. Buy drives in pairs - one to backup the other - as needed until you've got 4 or 6 of them, then consolidate into TWO multi-drive enclosures. I use three LaCie 2big RAIDs, a Thunderbolt backed up by a USB 3.0, with an old Quadra serving as the changed/deleted archive, miscellaneous other redundant backups, and OS clone partiions. I know that when their capacity is reached, I can swap out the drives for larger ones rather than replacing the whole box.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 +33 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow