Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Derek Dean
Contributing MemberPosts: 717Gear list
Like?
Re: $1300 for a JPEG-only camera?
In reply to The Silver Fox, Dec 6, 2012

The Silver Fox wrote:

Derek,

You've hit on the one thing that is the big draw of the X-E1, that amazing image quality. I love my X100's IQ, and from what I see in posted pix, the X-E1's are even better. And, like you, I can overlook the absence of many key features like touch screen and fully articulating LCD for the sake of that amazing IQ. But without RAW support, compounded with what your post seemed to indicate as ambivalent Mac support, the X-E1's price tag is awful steep for a JPEG-only camera. It's like I'm only getting half a camera. When the X-E1 was first announced, my heart was all a-flutter, but the more I learn about it, it just seems like there are way too many compromises. I suppose everyone must decide if the compromises are worth living with in order to have that great IQ.

I've come to the conclusion that what I want is a camera with the IBIS system and weather-proofing of the OM-D, the articulated LCD, touch screen, and video/audio setup of the GH3, and the sensor of the X-E1.

By the way, I don't know if you saw the thread posted today with this link:

http://frontallobbings.blogspot.ca/2012/11/super-detail-with-fujifilm-x-pro1-raf.html

While a bit complex, it does show what's possible with a little ingenuity, and that gives me hope that some one will surely come-up with a sensible solution for processing the Fuji .raf RAW files properly and easily.

One day I'm convinced that the X-E1 is the way to go, and the next I think I would be better off with either the OM-D or the GH3, since they both have an established system of lenses and proper support for their RAW files.

In any case, it's nice to have choices.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow