Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
foggy
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
Re: Lens with "wow" effect !! :-))
In reply to Blastophaga, Dec 6, 2012

I've had primes it seems forever I started shooting in 1972. When I stepped up to a DSLR (20D) for me zooms had come so far in IQ that I bought as fast glass as I could afford in zooms. The sharpness color and clarity were very nice. Also that was my transition from film SLRs from the N camp and had been dealing with very slow AF So My experience with Canons to start was being wowed by the fast AF.

I have the

Tokina 12-24 F4 type I

Tami 28-75 F2.8

Canon 70-200 F4

Canon 400 F5.6

I now shoot a 60D (I just got the 400 6 months ago), I was looking to add a fast prime to my bag for low light and settled on the 85 1.8 for fast action indoors shooting children at play. I do enjoy portrait work at times and had been using the Tami at the far end for that. I have done really good work with the zoom but after around a decade of no prime in this range I was really WOWed at the IQ, sharpness close to wide open, fit, balance, bokeh, color of this prime. If I did portraits for a living I would have to think about the 85 1.2 II but at the cost, the business would have to support it. Saying that the one thing I was put off by was the AF speed for what I do on the 1.2. With the 85 1.8 I know the 1.2 can best it in all but AF but at 5 times the cost and from the photos I've seen you would be hard pressed to tell what lens shot the image with no data to show which lens. I know it’s looking at the glass half full or half empty and some would not think of owning anything but an L. But for me I get visions of the $2000 toilet seat when I think of the 85 1.2. With the 85 1.8 there is enough there so with craft and technique I could come away with the better image.

So WOW factor yes for all you get in a well made lens for around $359.00 the price of say a 28-135 IS kit zoom. I would also like the 135 F2 L and it's sharper too..! Now I have to take my hat off to the guys that have been saying the primes are better it's been a pleasant wake up..!

Foggy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow