Started Dec 6, 2012 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MonsieurJambon
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?
Smartphone Processors, Super High MP Sensors, and Smartphone ILCs
Dec 6, 2012

So I've had a few questions rolling around in my head for a while now that I've been meaning to find answers to, but haven't found them via searching so I thought I'd ask here.

My main question is this: given the power of smartphone processors these days and the relatively high bandwidth afforded by USB 3.0, would it make sense to have an ILC attachment for a smartphone that consisted simply of an interchangeable MFT or APS-C sensor, an interchangeable lens mount, a grip, and a holder to slide your smartphone into. There would be minimal processing elements, with most of the processing being handled by the smartphone's processors.

I figure this would allow the software flexibility and processing power afforded by smartphones with the image quality and ergonomics of MFT or APS-C cameras. It would also be cheaper than needing to have an entirely new set of processors (which from what I could find are far slower than those in smartphones) in the camera body.

The second question is tangentially related: would this extra processing power allow for super high MP sensors of APS-C size or larger (like a super-sized 808 sensor), and would there be any benefit to a sensor like this?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow