Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Buchanan
Contributing MemberPosts: 846Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!
In reply to luvmybec, Dec 6, 2012

I think the quality of the 3rd shot is pretty good. As the others have said 1/250 is going to be too slow. Open the aperature and/or up the ISO. Some noise at higher ISO is preferable to motion blur. 1/400 is pretty much my minimum and sometimes it takes shooting wide open with a high ISO to even get that with my gyms. 6400 ISO, 2.8, 1/400 to 1/500 is pretty much my norm for my gyms around here with my Canon 60D. The other night in a really bad gym and using my new 5Diii (which I am still learning) I went to iso 8000 and 10000 to just get to 1/400. Don't know your camera so can't give you other specifics for settings but I use a single focus point (although I will change it depending in my composition) and AI servo setting.

Common problems I had starting out that still happen sometimes is I don't get my focus point on target and the back wall is in focus and the intended target player is not, and also shooting before giving the AF time to lock/focus on target (in that case nothing is in focus).

One other thing to consider is you can improve a lot of the shots by cropping for effect in post.  I think if 1st pic had sharper I would have cropped it larger, cutting out all but the girl with the ball and the 3 opponents surrounding her (this would also get rid of the unneeded space above the girls).  Result would have been a more striking rendition of 3 girls against the 1 which is the action part of the shot.

Buchanan's gear list:Buchanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow