Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SantaFeBill
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084
Like?
G5 Disappointment
Dec 6, 2012

I was close to changing form my Nikon DSLRs to an m4/3 system built around the Panny G5 (Reasons for changing  not relevant here.) But I decided against that move after I found out some things about the G5.

One of the main attractions of the G5 was the silent electronic shutter. One of the places I like to shoot is in events where I have permission, but where the sound of a DSLR's shutter is a problem. But these events are often places where there is movement from performers and/or low light levels.

From what I learned here, and the implications of what I read in the G5 manual about possible blur with moving subjects, I determined that the electronic shutter in the G5 takes c. 1/10 of a second to complete its cycle, regardless of the set shutter speed. So its best used only for static subjects. (IIRC, the G5 manual says as much.)

Also, the use of the electronic shutter limits the upper value of auto ISO to 1600, according to the manual. Not good in situations where the lighting level can vary from fairly bright to very dim.

Too bad. Perhaps the next generation?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow