Take the D600 vs. D700 detal challenge

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 610Gear list
Like?
Good question and solid test
In reply to eNo, Dec 6, 2012

eNo wrote:

Well... does that extra 12MP make a huge difference in capturing a lot of extra detail when shooting with a sharp lens like the 105 f2.8 VR macro? Well, does it? See for yourself how much of an impact the extra resolution makes.

Good comparison. You've already answered the question: 12MP doesn't really make a difference! Nikon figured that out with their series of camera bodies from a few years ago (the big range of 12MP bodies) and now they are catering to marketing and consumerism to create sales.

12 MP is enough to completely capture an image to display in any conventional form (a billboard viewed at arm's distance isn't conventional). Nikon implied that fact with their D5000 to D90 to D3S years ago. It's still true today.

I suspect that the D600 is left, left and right like many others because I'd expect the newer machine to have that extra little detail, but I could be wrong. What is amazing is how little the pixel count weighs in on image detail. Very good study, sir.

Best regards,

Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow