Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
pjman792
Regular MemberPosts: 170Gear list
Like?
Re: Girl's Basketball--New Shooter here...Help and Comments please!
In reply to luvmybec, Dec 5, 2012

Hi - From the looks of it, you're off to a decent start. I've shot literally hundreds of high school basketball games in my career, and here's what I recommend: First, as previously mentioned, shoot on manual exposure mode. Avoid shooting at a shutter speed slower than 1/250th/sec., with 1/500th (or above) being ideal. Most high school gyms have conditions that will give you an exposure of around 1/250th at f2.8 at ISO 1600. If you can do so, shoot at a higher ISO to get a faster shutter speed. (Personally, I'm willing to give up a bit in terms of image quality to freeze the action.) The 50mm lens you have should be fine for near-court shots, especially if your camera has a cropped sensor. For far court, I like at least a 200mm lens (or your 85mm on a cropped sensor). Where you sit matters, too. And I would definately sit, rather that stand - it gives a better perspective on the players when you shoot from a sitting position. If you don't know what I mean, next time you shoot a game, shoot one shot from a standing position and another from a sitting position - you'll see the difference. I like shooting from the baseline at one end of the court, near the corner. It gives a nice view under the basket, and also lets you shoot the guards in backcourt and around the top of the key. Good luck, and I hope to see more of your action shots soon!

-- hide signature --

Drew Tarter

pjman792's gear list:pjman792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow