Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
Le Kilt
Senior MemberPosts: 1,662
Like?
Re: True, but…
In reply to Phil Hill, Dec 5, 2012

Phil Hill wrote:

yellodog wrote:

If you don't believe that deep down in side why don't you sell your MkIII and Canon lenses and buy a something for a 1/10 th of the price? The difference would be enough for some serious travelling.

What an absurd thing to say. Where is that coming from? I don’t know how you could possibly get that from any of my posts. Why not stick to photography instead of offering financial advice?

It’s true that I don’t believe in magical lenses that automatically deliver “wow” (which is all I was trying to say), but that doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the benefits of quality gear.

For the record, my best lenses aren’t made by Canon, but when I manage to get one of those “wow” shots I believe it has more to do with knowing how to get the best a lens has to offer, rather than the lens itself.

By the way, I’ve seen plenty of “wow” photos taken by friends with the lowly kit lens. If that was all I could afford, I’m confident that I could make it work. I started out with much less.

I think you're missing the OP's point, this is about when the lens helps you get that extra something.  Like an ultra wide angle giving that extra perspective, an 85 f/1.2 giving a fabulous bokeh, a fast zoom with IS allowing you to get that sports shot with sharpness yet blurred background, a good tele that grabs that BIF with detail and sharpness...

The photographer makes the first difference, and the equipment the second one.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow