Slightly different question about Zeiss

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions thread
marco1974
Senior MemberPosts: 1,553Gear list
Like?
Re: Slightly different question about Zeiss
In reply to fft81, Dec 5, 2012

fft81 wrote:

I started couple threads about primes and i've seen even more from past years. I always "wanted" to think that zeiss lenses offer better IQ b/c of contrast and resolution than the nikon primes. But all the research i've done so far shows that zeiss and nikon primes are pretty much equal in terms of IQ. Build quality differs, but both are superb. I am only comparing the best lenses from the two manufacturers.

So, let me ask this question. Why should I buy a zeiss lens?

I've looked at MTF50 and MTF10 charts from both

http://www.lenstip.com/307.4-Lens_review-Carl_Zeiss_Distagon_T*_35_mm_f_1.4_ZE_ZF.2_Image_resolution.html

http://www.photozone.de/Reviews/255-zeiss-planar-zf-t-50mm-f14-review--lab-test-report?start=1

I've read zeiss MTF guide:

Search google for "Zeiss MTF" result is from zeiss.com.

It seems like both zeiss and nikon G primes max out at ~45 lpmm. Some drop into 20 or in best case at 30 lpmm at largest apertures.

I want to try zeiss glass as opposed to nikon, (i have nikor 50 f/1.4 and nikon f/2.8 trinity) but what do i stand to gain from buying zeiss glass vs nikon f/1.4G? The detailed comparisons of "the best Xmm lens" can be endless. I am not asking about such a full comparison; I am asking about "what can zeiss lenses give me, that nikons can't?"

Essentially: FAR superior build quality and manual focus precision and 'feel' [*]; metal filter threads; proper DOF scales.

OTOH, you give up AF.

In the end, it's good to have a choice

Marco

[*] comparing ZF(2) lenses to modern G Nikkors here. The old AIS lenses are second to none build quality-wise.

Thanks ahead

P.S. Mostly doing walk around the streets or studio work.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow