Is prior DSLR ownership needed to appreciate a NEX?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Larry251
Contributing MemberPosts: 561Gear list
Like?
Re: No...photographic knowledge can help get more out of it though...
In reply to zackiedawg, Dec 5, 2012

zackiedawg wrote:

It's not about having a DSLR, but about knowing how to expose, frame, compose, focus, and control a camera. It's likely that at least for those on enthusiast boards like this one, many DSLR shooters have obtained some level of skill, and therefore your postulation is probably apropos...however in the greater scale of things it's likely many DSLR owners in the world are not skilled or knowledgeable - certainly a great number of DSLR owners are still shooting in Auto with a basic kit lens and no real understanding of how to set or control their cameras nor take advantage of the abilities of the larger sensor and speed/performance...so they would gain no more appreciation of a NEX system than an unskilled P&S user would, except possibly an appreciation of the smaller size.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

This is a good point. A bit off topic, but sometimes in the isolated environment of forums like this one it is easy to lose sight of the fact that the majority of people taking pictures probably don't understand basic photography principles or perhaps even care. When I see all of the people walking around with their DSLR equipment I sometimes forget that simply owning the equipment doesn't necessarily mean they know how to get use of it. Then when they take a picture of some building or object that is hundreds of feet away and use their flash, I wake up.

Larry251's gear list:Larry251's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ35 Canon PowerShot S90 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
noNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow