* Wed C&C (No Theme) Thread, Ed. 243 December/5/2012 *

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Timskis6
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,562
Like?
OOF areas
In reply to LouHolland, Dec 5, 2012

Hi Lou,

I had to dig through last week's thread to find thr one you're talking about, but I believe you were referring to Roel's post regarding harbour lights.

In my experience these lens blobs, or point source lights, are blurred more with increasing focal length.The reason this is the case is that as you increase the lense focal length you increase subject-to-background compression. The effect with a longer focal length is a background that appears "closer" than would otherwise appear with a shorter focal length. The same holds true with wide angle - the shorter the focal length, the further the background appears away.

This is the same strategy James Cameron used in filming the sinking of the Titanic (on a 2/3" sensor, mind you). He used a long focal length to make the background appear closer and larger, giving the viewer the feeling of "being there close in the action."

The result you see with point light sources is the light being brought closer and closer with a longer and longer focal length. Multiple blobs (point light sources) become blurred into a single shape given their proximity and focal length used.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

Tim
www.developemotion.com
'I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list.'
E3/7-14/12-60/35-100/150/EC20
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timskis6/

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow