Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions thread
ponderosabob
Regular MemberPosts: 125Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 14-24 refresh?
In reply to Reilly Diefenbach, Dec 5, 2012

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

My recommendation to them would be to redesign the 14mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8 in MF editions with real DOF scales on them and infinity lock, apply nano to reduce flare further (it's miles better that the stupid zoom anyway)

You've got to be kidding! The 14 is junk!

Clearly an unenlightened opinion, who strictly relies on current popular opinion regurgitated until people believe it. As opposed to actually shooting the lens themselves.

I own and shoot this lens, along with the often maligned AF 18mm f/2.8D, and love them both.

Much of the BS is marketing propaganda to sell the new lenses, which have nowhere near the build quality, and also peoples own justification for their purchases/investments in the newer lenses.

There are many factors involved in judging how a lens performs beyond just ultimate sharpness across the frame.

Vignetting is not always bad, and is many times preferable depending on the scene.

Small, light and quick is a major asset.

Build quality and longevity cannot be valued enough.

Zooms are way overrated, and overused, and impair creativity and skill. (my opinion), However, they do have their place.

Focus plane plays a big part in performance that is not reflected in the mainstream lens tests and MTF's.  Shoot it yourself. There are many fine lenses that are prematurely dismissed offhand, that just might be the gem you are looking for.

Discover the intangibles!

ponderosabob's gear list:ponderosabob's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow