Nex-5N vs Nex-5R

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
MikeFromMesa
Senior MemberPosts: 2,849
Like?
Stunned!
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Dec 5, 2012

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Thank you for posting the chart. I will have to take a look at this web site and see what I can find out. I am also a little interested in how these compare with the Canon DSLRs I am used to using.

I am stunned. I don't know any other way to put it.

I compared my camera (Canon 5D3), my wife's current camera (Canon 60D) and the Sony NEX-5R. I expected the 5D3 to be better at high ISO as that is one of its strengths, and it is. But the Sony hangs right in there in most other measures and is better in at least one other. And, compared to the Canon 60D, a camera that costs twice as much, the Sony just seems better.

Here are the figures, given in the order NEX, 5D3, 60D

Color depth:         23.7     24.0    22.2

Landscape DR:     13.1    11.7     11.5

Sports ISO:          910    2293     813

Overall:                 78       81       66

These figures are a complete description of the ability of the cameras since that includes lots of other features, but it certainly says something about the sensor in the cameras. All of this caught my attention, but the Sports ISO figures were particularly revealing. while the Canon 5D3 is much, much better than the Sony NEX (it is, after all, a full-frame camera) the Sony seems to be considerably better than the Canon 60D. And the Sony has a higher DR than either Canon.

As I said, I am just stunned. Who knew????

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow