Why not in-camera DNG RAW files in 6D (or all DSLR's, for that matter)?

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Questions thread
David Hull
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,378Gear list
Like?
Re: Why not in-camera DNG RAW files in 6D (or all DSLR's, for that matter)?
In reply to Wing2, Dec 5, 2012

Wing2 wrote:

runefb wrote:

Hi there

We are all waiting for Adobe to update LR4/ACR for EOS 6D, so that we can compare the 6D RAW files. Can someone pleace tell me why Canon is not adopting to the DNG RAW standard? Or at least just make it possible to choose between DNG and CR2.

I believe that DNG still not has become an ISO standard, but DNG conversion in ACR/LR seems to be standard work flow for many photog's.

I certainly would'nt by a 6D before ACR/LR is updated for 6D RAW files.

Rune

It takes extra processing power and time to convert RAW to DNG.

- frame rate may decrease, number of shots per charge may also decrease (slightly at least)!

DNG is usually smaller in file size than CR2, so the number of shots per card can store is bigger!

A few cameras out there can save DNG but they are slow cameras.

Until the processors inside the SLR are fast enough or has dedicated design to to convert RAW to DNG it may not be a priority for the SLR manufacturers. (may a few years?)

"It takes extra processing power and time to convert RAW to DNG."

Why is that true?  DNG IS a RAW file and several camera manufacturers allready do support DNG in their cameras.  They may apply some non destructive compression to the RAW data but other camera manyfacturers are doing that as well.

-- hide signature --
 David Hull's gear list:David Hull's gear list
Canon EOS 50D Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow