Technique for Shooting a Christmas Parade at night with Nikon D800?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
Phixer323
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
Re: Technique for Shooting a Christmas Parade at night with Nikon D800?
In reply to Al Giordano, Dec 5, 2012

You won't need a tripod to shoot a nighttime parade. While I don't shoot with Nikon, I have shot the night Disney parades numerous times. The difficulty comes with the changing conditions with the floats. At Disney, the Electrical Parade (and before that Spectromagic)  is easier than the Christmas parade because most all the floats and characters are lighted. That is not the same with the Christmas parade where it seems every other float or display is lit. You do not want to use flash on floats that have their own illumination in that your flash (I'm talking about an external flash) will overpower the lights and you lose the effect. The issue where you have a mixture of lighted and non-lighted displays can drive you crazy switching your settings and flash back and forth. My solution was to have two cameras, one set for flash and the other non-flash. I have used both a prime lens (30mm f1.4) and a zoom lens (28-70mm f2.8). Because you are shooting motion, I would recommend you use shutter priority (on my system it is Tv) and set it 1/100 or above to prevent blur and adjust your ISO to control the exposure. I would start at ISO 1600 and go from there. I have found that you really have to adjust on the fly.

Phixer323's gear list:Phixer323's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-5 IIs Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow