Started Nov 30, 2012 | Discussions thread
Under The Sun
New MemberPosts: 19Gear list
Like?
Re: reading your blog and
In reply to Hans Kruse, Dec 5, 2012

Hans Kruse wrote:

Under The Sun wrote:

I'm in the market to purchase a 1DX for mostly indoor sports in poor light and want to know its strengths and weaknesses before I drop 7K dollars for the body. So I really appreciate actual real world experience from a skilled photographer in extreme scenarios. Looking forward to your future updates about the camera. Many thanks.

With all due respect for Hilmer, did you notice that his test was in extremely low light and probably also contrast-less subjects? Would you shoot indoor sports using an f/5.6 lens? I assume you are aware that the auto focus system behaves quite differently on different lenses? Especially the 1DX works with a different number of cross type AF sensors and precision depending on the speed of the lens and the specific pens. So seriously I don't think Hilmer's test can be used for anything else than a reflection of the specific situation he was testing which we really don't know what is. Don't get me wrong, I like Hilmer's photography and also his thought of sharing, but as I suspected this turns into a much more general advice where what he is doing does not apply. I have no special interest in which camera is the best and under which circumstances, but I have a problem with misleading information and misinterpreted information.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards,
Hans Kruse
Home Page -- www.hanskrusephotography.com, http://500px.com/hanskrusephotography, www.hanskrusephotography.zenfolio.com
Workshops -- www.hanskrusephotography.com/gallery/14682573_Q9mq4
Facebook Photography http://www.facebook.com/HansKrusePhotography
Workshop Newsletter signup http://eepurl.com/bA0Pj

Yes of course, I'm aware of all these factors. Like anyone planning to buy expensive gear, I do my due diligence by reading up carefully. Like a majority of the folk here I have my share of experience with different kinds of lenses and bodies. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one who finds using high end equipment in the most extreme circumstances very interesting. In a way, its very similar to tearing up an expensive sports car around the test track or a drop test prove the toughness of a certain piece of gear. In the real world, we won't be pushing our gear that far but we would like to know how it performs in those situation "just in case."

I'm pretty sure a lot of us are smart enough to interpret the data offered here intelligently.  Please give us more credit then that.

Under The Sun's gear list:Under The Sun's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 650D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow