Nex 5N or Canon 60D for slide copying?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Questions thread
rifo
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Nex 5N or Canon 60D for slide copying?
In reply to Jefenator, Dec 5, 2012

Okay, here are some of my results from tweaking my FL Bellows rig a bit. Don't pay too much attention to color temps/focus/exposure/etc., because these haven't been adjusted much. This is just an old calibration slide that's handy for testing to see how much of the slide I can get in the field of view.

First, this is how slides kept showing up. It was really annoying. I couldn't seem to change the alignment no matter what.

Here you can see the left side gets cut off, as does part of the bottom.

Then I bumped the slide duplicator at the end of the rail, and got this:

Slightly better, but not really. I get both top and sides, but now the bottom gets cut off.

More jiggling and some bellows-squeezing, and I got this:

Almost! Argh! The very top gets cut off in the frame of the duplicator!

So the problem partly lies in the field of view of the duplicator itself, it seems, as it cuts off just a touch of the top of the calibration slide. And, of course, its inability to stay seated on the end of the rail in line. (It stays attached, but it has some wiggle room.)

If I push the slide down much at all, then the bottom gets cut off. It's very fiddly. Maybe I'll insert some kind of stop in there to make it easier to plunk slides in and get them level.

Jiggling the slide duplicator seems to have been the most important adjustment, though. I couldn't find a good way to get everything lined up perfectly without buying more hardware or building some sort of frame (as others have.) So this is "good enough" for now.

rifo's gear list:rifo's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow