Gorillapod SLR-zoom or something else for travel?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hiki08
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
Gorillapod SLR-zoom or something else for travel?
Dec 5, 2012

I'm planning a trip around Europe soon and am considering getting a tripod for the occasional photos at night or dimly lit indoors (Churches and what not). I don't envisage shooting a feet from the ground being too big an issue in the city (but I maybe horribly wrong) and could hopefully make use of some railings etc when in the city. The flexibility of the legs on the gorillapod is its most attractive feature, being able to adjust quickly on a rugged surface without need to twist, turn and lock a traditional tripod leg. Weighing up at 250g is also super friendly for my flight luggage restrictions (allowing for some extra shopping!). Basic criteria would be a compact size, light weight (under 1kg) and flexible in its uses.

My camera+lens should be under 2kg, while with a flash added may be just tipping the 2kg mark.

Most comments on the gorillapodseem to be great, while I've read a few who have gave damning reviews saying it is not strong enough to support their camera + lens (though those are usually with heavier 70-200 f/2.8 IS or 300 something lenses which I do not own or intend to own in the near future). Is the SLR-zoom adequately sturdy, and is the quick release ball head a must for travelling? (thinking if it'll be hard to take landscape-oriented (as opposed to portrait) photography with the gorillapod dangling below the camera.. haha

I also took a look at the tech trek trekpod go pro, a monopod that interestingly opens up as a tripod. Concerns here is that I'll be carrying a rod all day round (shortening it would require separating it into 4 individual parts) and legs don't seem height adjustable so I may be doomed if the ground isn't flat.

Other than that, Gitzo Mountaineerseries seem to be only one that weighs under 1kg and have a load capacity above 2kg. But that's crazy expensive!

Also welcome any other suggestions and user experiences. The tripod I'm using for will have its primary purpose for travelling and taking on plane flights where weight and size is just as important as its usability. Thanks!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow